- Make sure your lawn is manicured.
- Keep the lawn mowed.
- Trim shrubbery, bushes & trees removing all dead limbs & debris.
- Add fertilizer or greening agent to lawn & plants.
- Use an edger along the sidewalks and driveways
- Remove all weeds from flowerbeds, rocks & cracks in concrete. (Weed Be Gone).
- Install and Inspect decorative metal, stone borders between lawn & planting beds.
- Clean up rock and mulch beds making sure the the ground is covered, add more if needed.
Decks, Patios, Driveways, Porches, & Fences
- Power Wash driveways & sidewalks.
- Repair holes & cracks.
- Remove stains.
- Replace or repair broken areas.
- Paint and/or stain fences & decks.
- Arrange outdoor furniture & firewood neatly.
- Put away all lawn equipment, bikes, & toys.
- Inspect all gutters, downspouts, siding, windows sashes, trim & shutters.
- Clean & Paint.
- Repair or replace as needed.
- Replace any broken windows, doors & screens.
- Inspect the roof for missing or damaged shingles & flashing. Make any necessary repairs.
- Clean & touch up paint on the little things: House numbers, mailboxes, doorbells, etc…
Front Porch: This should be very welcoming.
- Paint door & trim.
- Sweep and clean porch area.
- Put out a new doormat.
- Install potted or hanging plants if possible.
- Install high wattage bulbs to make porch area brighter.
- Clean glass on porch lights and remove bug remains.
- Clean the entire home!
- Windows & screens.
- Curtains, drapes & blinds.
- Carpets. If pet stains exist replace carpet & pad.
- Clean & wax wood floors.
- Vinyl & ceramic floors.
- Clean, paint or replace all vent covers.
- Clean, polish, paint/stain wood trim in home.
- Clean all lamp shades & covers.
- Be sure to remove pet & smoke odor when cleaning. Smell is a huge part of what buyers remember about your home.
- Freshly paint home using white, off white or beige paint. This will match the buyers furnishings.
- Repair damages to walls & ceilings. Includes: holes, cracks, & water stains.
Kitchen & Baths
- Thoroughly clean all counter tops, appliances, mirrors, ovens, sinks, toilets, tub, & shower walls.
- Put away the small appliances to open up counter space.
- blender, canisters, coffee maker, etc.
- Clear off vanity counter tops & store all personal care items neatly.
- Clean ventilating hood & exhaust fans.
- Remove rust stains from sinks and bathtubs.
- New knobs on drawers & cabinets make a difference.
- Clean & organize drawers, cabinets, & linen closets.
- Clean all tile grout & caulk. (Clorox Bleach Pen & Mr. Clean Magic Eraser).
- Re-caulk areas that can not be cleaned.
Make House Light & Bright!
- Replace bulbs with high wattage bulbs.
- The Brighter the better!
Closets – Make the appear larger!
- Remove ‘out of season’ clothing from closets.
- Leave only a few items on the floor of closets.
- Add extra, empty hangers.
- Organize your shoes on racks.
- Neatly arrange items on shelving.
- Leave extra space on shelves and floor.
Pay Close Attention to the Little Things
- Tighten loose door knobs.
- Fix any leaky faucets.
- Tighten loose towel racks.
- Oil any squeaky doors or drawers.
- Arrange furniture to give an open feel. Remove any unnecessary or over sized furniture.
- Make sure all switches & outlets are clean & working properly.
- Place fresh flower arrangements throughout home.
- Make sure windows open & close with out squeaking.
- Hide Prescription medication. Theft of these items is rising.
Heating & Cooling
- Clean fireplaces and remove smoke stains.
- Clean your furnace / air conditioner and replace filter if needed.
- Clean water heater.
Garage, Basement, Attic, & Storage Areas
- Dispose of everything you are not going to move.
- Arrange items neatly & clutter free.
- Consider painting walls & ceilings white.
- Remove stains & dirt from floor.
- Paints floors gray.
- Organize garden tools & equipment.
- Remove or clean muddy work boots.
- Wipe off dirt and spider webs from water heater, furnace, washer & dryer.
- Cure water problems in basement. Seek professional advice if needed.
Use common sense to prepare your home to sell. While it does take time to prepare your home, in the end it will help to add visual appeal and result in a better showing.
Once you have completed the list above, take a look at the house from a street view. Do you see anything that could be changed or fixed that would help sell this home. If not, then you are ready!
As always if you have any questions feel free to contact us anytime!